Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Writers Write

Well, I've put this off all day and I'm running out of day. I made a goal of writing in this blog every day so I guess I'd better get started.

Attempting to put my thoughts down in digital ink day after day is extremely hard for me. It's like trying to do situps. I know how good it is for me, but anticipating the pain involved usually persuades me otherwise.

I know the formula, butt in chair - fingers on keyboard, but that is much more difficult for me to do than it sounds.

After whining to my wife last night about it, she said, "Like I tell my writing students, writers write!" I didn't need that. I wanted sympathy.

I spend all day at work writing for a living and the thought of another session at the keyboard when I get home isn't very inviting. This makes me feel guilty because I think that if I really wanted to write, I'd be driven to it no matter how I feel. I don't just want to write; I want to write fiction.

I've always been a writer. Even though I make my living as a writer, I know that technical writing isn't fiction writing. I'd really like to be a fiction writer. Fiction writers get all the glory. Although, I have made a lot more money in my career than the fiction writers that I have met.

Of course, I've never met Stephen King or Amy Tan.

No comments: