Saturday, December 01, 2007

Snowstorm Service

Woke up this morning to a full blown snowstorm. Since we had previously scheduled a service day for the young men for this morning it worked out well.

All bundled up, the six boys, me, and the other two adult leaders wandered around the neighborhood with snow shovels in hand. We didn't keep count, but counting in my head, relying on my poor memory, we shovelled between 15 and 20 sidewalks and driveways in about an hour and a half. And threw many times that number of snowballs.

The snow fell continuously. It was a good thick snow that accumulated about six inches on the ground. In fact, it was still snowing out there as evening approached.

We weren't the only ones out in the snow. Neighbor families were out playing in the snow. The kids were making snowmen while mom and dad shovelled. It was fun to share a little small talk in the morning.

OK, I have to admit that I didn't shovel any snow. A threat was made on my life, by the wife, prior to the event if I shovelled any snow. But I did share in the hot chocolate and donuts at Krispy Kreme when we were done.

Good job boys! Service makes us stronger, in body and in spirit.

No comments: