Saturday, December 22, 2007

I Must Be A Fatalist

I must be a fatalist. I'm always assuming, when the game turns against them, my favorite sports team is going to lose. I'm OK while they're winning, or, in baseball, hockey, or football, the game is scoreless. But let them get behind, even for a second, and it is the end of the world. They're automatically going to lose in my mind.

Our local NBA development league team, the Utah Flash, has been going down to the wire almost every game lately. In fact, several of the last games have gone into overtime or double overtime. It is nerve damaging. Why can't they just win in regulation and save me the nail chewing? Tonight's game, another overtime nail biter. Fortunately, for my fragile nerves, they took control for the whole overtime and pulled it out. WIN! But, as regulation ended, I was sure they were going to lose.

The BYU Cougars are my college team. Well, not MY college team, but my COLLEGE team...actually they are a university. BYU played tonight in the Las Vegas Bowl against UCLA. The Flash announcer gave us score updates the entire basketball game. The Cougars led most of the game.

Coincidentally, both games came to an end at almost the same time. With three seconds left in the football game, the Flash announcer informs us that UCLA is down by one with the ball on the BYU 13 yard line... of course, my mantra is: THE COUGARS ARE GOING TO LOSE!

Flash game over. Announcer now silent. Three seconds of full knowledge that the Cougars were going to lose. A long walk out to the car.

We walked out to the car in mourning, when all of a sudden, "THEY BLOCKED THE FIELD GOAL," pierced the frigid night air. "BYU won!" echoed across the parking lot. The wife and I almost sprinted to the car to turn on the radio and confirm the anonymous voice in the night. "He might be pulling one over on his friend," I told her, sure that they had met their demise.

We unlocked the car, flung open the doors, jumped in and turned on the radio. It was true. BYU blocked the field goal and won the game.

I need to mend my ways and remember that it isn't over 'till the fat lady sings...

No comments: