Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Who Are Your Freeway Buddies?

Have you looked around you, in the morning, on your way to work? Through the darkness, amid the rush of traffic hastily making its way to somewhere; have you taken the time to notice who are your freeway buddies?

It's dark when I finally drag myself out of bed and into the Mercury Sable to make my way to work weekday mornings. It's the best I can do to just keep my eyes open, but this morning, I looked around. I saw darkened faces, illuminated only by light coming from dashboard gauges, or the momentary application of brakes in the vehicle in front of them. Cars, moving in unison--patterns emerging as they merge, and turn, and rush to their destinations. The morning commuters club. Off to work and school.

My mind flashes to a scene from the movie, The Witness, with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. You know the scene: the barn raising. Amish families, all gathering at the farm of the newlyweds, to build a barn in one day. Neighbors, friends, and strangers together, all moving toward the spot where they'll raise a building, tools and supplies in hand. All in common migration toward the barn.

We are like those Amish folks. Neighbors, friends, and strangers together, all moving toward the spot where we'll raise our buildings, tools and supplies in hand...

No comments: