Saturday, January 12, 2008

Those D#$* Little Micro SDs


The last few days have been those kind where you relive the past and wonder why it takes so long for us to see how good those times were.

As we set up laptops in our classroom, we talked about the size of equipment we worked on in the "early" days--much larger and a lot less capable than those laptops are today.

Things have changed. I can remember those first floppy disks we stored data on. The size kept getting smaller and smaller until now we use CDs, DVDs, flash drives, SDs, CFs, and MS duos. Amazing how things change. Smaller is better...or is it?

After a hard day at work, I get back to my hotel room and decide to remove the MicroSD from my cell phone so I can copy some important photos I took with the cell phone to my laptop. Now, as you can see in the photo, these things are TINY, and the slot they reside in is SPRING LOADED. Yeah, you see what's coming, don't you?

I open the cover on the side of my cell phone to remove the card, grab my Montblanc to use in place of my fat finger tips, and give the side of the card a gentle push. BOING! I quickly look down at the now empty slot and give a silent curse.

Now I'm down on the floor, hands and knees, frantically searching for the little bugger. The cell phone rings and my wife is on the other end of the line. She proceeds to laugh as I tell her my predicament. During the conversation, I pull the covers off the bed I was sitting on when I launched the card into the air and proceed to shake them vigorously. Nothing.

I decide the room is a little dark to see the card on the tan carpet with olive green rectangles so I dig deep into my backpack and pull out my trusty blue Maglight. I hang up the phone and begin the process all over again, canvassing the room with the flashlight.

It took me a while, but I finally found it on top of the nightstand beside the bed.

Smaller is definitely not better when you launch a MicroSD card across the hotel room, but to make matters worse, while putting the card back into the slot in the cell phone, I launched it again...D#$* little Micro SDs.

No comments: