Monday, January 14, 2008

My First Training Class

I did my first training session in front of the class today. It went really well, I thought. I wasn't too nervous and I covered everything I was supposed to cover. I even added some good information that was not in the instructor guide. Of course, the subject of the section was the electronic technical manual for the system and so I was expected to be able to do it well.

The problem is, as we often do, I got kinda pumped up that I was able to do it with so little time on the job. Then it hit me. We went out to do a hands on walk around on the equipment. With three instructors and four systems the most experienced instructor got two systems and the two of us novices got the other two systems.

It started out pretty good, until I exhausted my limited knowledge, and my newly found confidence began to fade. I thought we were just doing a quick walkaround...boy was I wrong. Have you ever had that feeling in the pit of your stomach? The one that says you are in over your head? You ask yourself: "How am I going to get out of this one?" I had it. Times TEN.

I did the best I could. I dodged. I faked. I delayed. I guess it worked, because after what seemed like an eternity we closed up the system and went back into the classroom where I got to spend the rest of the day observing the lead instructor do his thing.

I really hate that feeling. I felt like I knew nothing and was cheating the group I was working with. In the end we got through it and I learned from the experience. By this time next year I'll look back and smile at the experience.

Tonight, if you want me, you can find me hiding under the covers hoping the feelings of inadequacy go away.

No comments: