Saturday, May 17, 2008

There is Beauty All Around




One of the things having time on your hands does is force you to notice little things. Whether it is the lack of quality programming on TV or the lack of quality restaurants, you notice.

I have spent much more time listening to good relaxing music on my Zune and taking photographs of 'things.'

In an effort to avoid the four walls of the hotel room, this afternoon I took a little walk to the mall about a half mile from the hotel. At the bookstore, I picked up the May issue of National Geographic with brilliant color photos of China and her people. I sat on a wooden bench, listening to the melodic voice of Natalie Cole, and read. It was actually quite relaxing to tune out everything around me while enjoying the controlled climate within.

On the walk back in the hot southern Arizona sun I started noticing the desert plants along the way. Even though I left my 'good' camera in the room I snapped off a few photos with the standby.

I thoroughly enjoyed their simple beauty. Ironically, since they sit in vacant lots along a busy roadway, I am probably the only person to notice their beauty which for most of them is fading as they wilt and die. And the sounds of Natalie accompanying this walk made it even more spectacular.

No comments: