Monday, November 26, 2007

Passion - You Got It?

Lately, I've wondered if there was any passion left in my soul.

Same routine day in and day out. Work, no travel, no excitement, nothing out of the ordinary happening here. Just spending a lot of time at home, reading on the couch in front of the TV, or surfing the Internet on the laptop.

But something stirred the passions this weekend. A good old football rivalry game! It was pretty ugly football most of the game. It looked like the home town team would win sooner or later in a duel of field goal kickers. Then the visiting team turned it on, scoring a touchdown and going ahead by one point with a couple minutes left in the game.

The doubting Thomas attitude came out full strength and the blame game began. "It was the coaches dumb decisions," I told the wife. "They HAD this one," I added. And true to form, three downs and no progress. There they sat. Fourth and 18 on their own 12 yard line. The expletives were coming fast and strong. Unlike the home team... I gave up and conceded the victory to the opponents.

And then it happened. With barely a minute left in the game, the quarterback scrambles to his right...looking for a receiver...let's the ball fly...for a 49 yard first down reception! My heart beating faster and faster, adrenaline rushing through my body, and my head throbbing wildly. They had a chance! Oh ye of little faith! I was alive again. A football game had ignited the passion once again.

They scored a couple plays later, and with a two-point conversion forced the visitors to make a touchdown instead of a field goal to be able to tie or win the game. It didn't happen. The home town team held the visitors and triumphed in the end. I danced jubilantly around the living room.

Life is back to normal today. Work is work and the commute is the same. For just a moment in the middle of the day, I thought back to the last seconds of the game and the passion was alive again!

No comments: