Sunday, April 27, 2008

Will The South Rise Again?












I love to find the remnants of the Civil War that exist in southern towns. Usually, a statue to Confederate soldiers and their sacrifices exists. On my Augusta walk I found a wonderful statue. but I was disturbed by the words still carved into one side of it. Now, I realize that this particular statue was erected in 1878, but due to these words being cast in stone, they are still here for all to see.


Am I interpreting this message incorrectly? I hope not. One man I saw, donning a straw hat and grizzly beard, drove by in his ragged old Chevy pickup possibly saying it all with his front license plate. On the plate stood a crusty old rebel soldier waving the rebel flag and announcing to all who read it, "Forget Hell."



No comments: