Saturday, April 26, 2008

Start Your Day With a Southern Breakfast



I decided to treat myself to breakfast this morning away from the hotel. There are Waffle House restaurants everywhere in North Carolina and it seems like they are everywhere here in Georgia. So, I decided to have a waffle at the house before heading in to Augusta to investigate the local tourist scene.

Just to make this experience really special, I hopped up on a stool at the counter to partake of my meal.

I just wasn't prepared for the waitress to wash a sink full of cast iron skillets directly in front of me while placing them one by one on the same counter I was eating my breakfast on. Two stacks of skillets smelling like cast iron and soap. What a treat.

The waffle was quite good, although I had to stop the sunnyside eggs from running down the counter several times. I guess runny isn't the word for it. Try liquid.

And the site of the waffle irons (all four of them) with batter oozing down their sides and piles of waffle cuttings surrounding them was special too.

The name badges on the waitresses and cooks declared "Good food fast and friendly." That's stretching the truth. The food was good, I'll give them that, but it wasn't fast and the help was in a mood between grouchy and fast asleep. Bickering among themselves was popular.

I'm assuming that working at Waffle House is not a real career. My first clue was the name badges announcing "Team Member Since ...." of which most all said "Team Member Since 2006 or 2007." Hmmmm.

An unintentional "gritting" gave me a surprise. I have never liked grits. I tried them many times in the military when I was stationed in the south. Grits come with everything breakfast here and since they were on my plate I stuck the tip of a fork tine in them and brushed it against my tongue; prepared to say "Yuck." Surprise! I liked them. I ate a good portion of them and might even try them again some day.

With breakfast behind me, I fired up the old Kia Rondo rental car and hit the road to downtown Augusta. Tune in again for my adventures in Augustaland.

No comments: