Friday, February 22, 2008

Walking Around Waegwan





We took a nice long walk around a little bit of Waegwan before dinner tonight. It is a quiet little town. The narrow streets remind me of walking the back streets in Japan. As darkness fell, the lights came on, but in Korea, as in Japan, the residents do not light up their homes with 100 watt bulbs. They light only the room they are in and then with a more subdued light. I even saw an old lady with a candle in her hand going down some stairs in the front alcove of one home.

The homes vary in size and age. Most of the single homes that we saw were old, dirty and in pretty bad shape (at least from the outside). In Korea, it is prestigious to live in a high rise apartment building. I am not sure if they buy or rent them. I haven't had any conversations with Koreans so I don't know much about their lifestyles. I am just an observer making guesses. As we made the three hour drive from Incheon airport to Waegwan when I first got here, I saw high rise apartments in all of the larger cities and towns we passed by.

Tomorrow we will take the train to go to Daegu shopping. I am very excited to see the markets and take lots of photographs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, honey! One of my students said that the Daegu Seomun Market is one of the largest markets in Korea. She also said that Daegu is the center of the textile industry in Korea. Maybe I'd like a pretty wall hanging (similar to the cool calendars you brought back from Japan...either textile or painted bamboo or something like that. Some that could be rolled up and packed in your suitcase...easy to travel with.

Love you! Have a great time taking pictures...make sure all the batteries are charged!

Love you!