Sunday, February 24, 2008





















It is lonely on the road. That is one of the reasons that having somewhere to go to like church is so important.

We travelled back to Daegu today. This time we drove in to the Daegu Military Branch for church. There is a Korean Ward that meets there, but the branch is composed of military people and their families.

Sacrament meeting was attended by less than 30 people, which includes the two of us. As we entered the building, we were greeted by welcome handshakes and smiles. The branch president met us as we entered, closely followed by missionaries and other members.

We swapped "where are you froms" and then settled in for sacrament meeting. Even though the chorister was accompanied by a DVD player, the sound of the congregation singing hymns was as if the chapel benches were completely full of members.

With only a handful of kids in attendance, it wasn't surprising to see the only two young men blessing the sacrament and one of the single brethren passing. It only took one tray for water and one for bread to pass the sacrament.

It never goes away, the amazement of being thousands of miles from home, in fact it was only 8 pm Saturday night in Utah, but there I sat in a chapel with members of the church, taking the sacrament.

I was surrounded by members from Idaho Falls. It makes me think of my own ward. I always say that I think most of our ward is from Idaho and specifically Idaho Falls. I thought about our Bishop (not from Idaho Falls) but one of the first people who shakes my hand on Sunday back home. I thought about my home teaching companion and his ever friendly smile and handshake. Then, my home teachers who make it over to shake my hand.

And of course, all the kids. I miss their smiles and laughs. But most of all I miss sitting next to my lovely wife. Sundays are meant for families. That is the best part about it.

Being a member of the Church means I can find safety and security for three hours on Sunday, usually within minutes of wherever I am staying in the world. We had members from the US, Phillipines, Korea, and New Zealand all gathered together to worship.

One of the things that amazes me about Korea is that I was expecting to see Temples and Shrines everywhere I went. In Japan, you can see Temples and Shrines in just about every neighborhood. Here, you see crosses atop chapels in almost every neighborhood you pass and in the cities they seem as prevalent as LDS chapels in Utah. Someone told me that since the Korean War, christianity has become the major religion in Korea. I don't have facts to back that up.

It was a nice day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone at Church read your blog...Karl, Murray, Sis. Taboada, Nancy Jackson (Kent is in Jerusalem), and Mark and Howard read it to the boys in Priesthood class. They all wanted me to tell you how much they miss you. Mark will bring the manual by so you can prepare a lesson for Sunday, the 9th. Karl was relieved to know you'd planned on doing home teaching when you get home.

Love you, miss you, hope your work is going well.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Me