Saturday, July 19, 2008

Oh Say Can You See

We went into Baltimore Inner Harbor today. What a beautiful place. In a lot of ways it reminded me of Cabo San Lucas (although MUCH bigger).

We purchased the Historic Fleet Pass to visit four historic ships moored in the harbor: the USS Constellation, Lightship Chesapeake, USCGC Taney, and US Submarine Torsk. It also included the 7 Foot Knoll Lighthouse.


The stroll between ships and the lighthouse takes you around the inner harbor area. Lots of beautiful boats and yachts. What amazed me about the area was the endless lines to enter the aquarium. People waited hours to get in. When we passed by at 3 pm, the lady announced over the PA that tickets were being sold for the 5:45 entrance time!

As we gawked at all the people and sites to see, I missed my wonderful wife and my friend Kelli, both great traveling companions. I've done some memorable sightseeing and shopping with both of them. They are the only two people in the world who I am totally comfortable with just wandering around.

After touring all the ships and the submarine, we drove over to Ft McHenry. Of course, the fort is known for the battle (the only battle fought at the fort) fought there that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner.

We spent some time sitting on the seawall around the fort and boat/ship watched. We were treated (at least I was) by the passing by of the Norwegian Majesty cruise ship. It, of course, made me yearn for January when Marj and I get to go on our next cruise out of San Diego.


2 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow! It looks like you had a great time. I'm sure you will have a great time when Marj comes to visit. I hope the weather is stil sunny and beautiful for her time there.
The building where the Hard Rock is used to be an old Domino sugar plant and then they turned it into a nightclub w/ different year's music played on each floor. The ESPN Zone came next and now I see it's Barnes and Noble and the HRC. Wow. So glad you got to see a lot of ships and such. I know you like that. When is the ballgame? Tanks for posting!! :D

Anonymous said...

Very cool commentary AND awesome pix! I love it when you post! Can't wait to come back there and share a fun weekend of "wandering" with you!

I love you!

Always yours,

M