Monday, July 14, 2008

Lunch Time Memories

I took a little stroll down memory lane today at lunch time. When hunger pangs struck, and I thought of all the places I could eat, I decided to go somewhere to satiate not only my physical yearnings for food, but also my great need to connect with something or someone.

I’ve worked the greater part of my professional career on both sides of the Salt Lake City airport and have spent many lunch periods with coworkers searching the Salt Lake area for exceptional lunch time culinary experiences on a tight budget (is that an oxymoron?).

Unfortunately, most of my lunch buddies no longer work in or around the airport. So I have to often, the little time I am in Salt Lake City, go to lunch by myself. Today was one of those days.

Driving down North Temple, I tried to think of someone I might have called to share my lunch half hour with. On such a short notice, nobody came to mind. As I approached the State Fair Grounds, I spotted the perfect spot to chow down: Panda Buffet; lots of food, drink, and great atmosphere on a budget (OK, maybe not the best atmosphere).

Upon entering, I was greeted by the same three Chinese (I’m assuming) ladies at the front cash register counter who met me on my first visit and every visit since. Their chattering away in Chinese tonal sounds always confuses me. The loud voices and inflections make me think they are constantly mad and yelling at each other or participating in constant arguing.

Memories? Well, besides all the going away parties, gatherings of friends, and meals with family, I have one especially fond memory.

My friend Kelli and I met at Panda Buffet for lunch on one of her trips up from AZ. While snarfing down on the chow, I found a piece of metal in one of my mushrooms. When I brought it to the attention of our waitress, I got a very curt, “So solly.” Kelli, not to be outdone, had her Diet Coke end up spilling all over the table, and got the same response, “So solly.” I guess the two incidents were only big deals to us. Because they certainly were no big deal to the waitress!

Fortune cookie news
Your fortune: A pleasant surprise is soon in store for you!
Your lucky numbers: 29, 16, 31, 37, 44, 13

1 comment:

Kelli said...

A pleasant surprise could be anything from an opening when you are merging into traffic to a winning lottery ticket. I could use either. Hope your lunch was good! :)