Thursday, March 06, 2008

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Last night I was lamenting our restaurant choices. It was getting to be routine to go outside the gate for fried rice or ramen--not the ramen like we'd get in Japan. The ramen here comes out of the package like you can buy in the grocery stores back home; then they add some cheese to it and meat, or egg, or kim chee. Not very special.

Tonight we were invited to a local restaurant that serves Sum Gay Tong soup (I assume that is how you spell it). In essence, they cook a whole small chicken, stuffed with rice, herbs, a chestnut, and a few other goodies, in a broth with onions. It is fabulous. And of course you get all the side dishes of kim chee and pickled vegetables.

The only drawback to the meal was our big fat American legs kept going to sleep sitting on the floor with them tucked under those two foot high (if that) tables. But our reward afterwards ws to visit the local Dunkin' Donuts for an after dinner snack.

One good thing that has happened in my three weeks in Korea...I've finally gotten used to using metal chopsticks; which isn't as easy as it sounds.

1 comment:

Kent said...

Hey John, I remember the metal sticks in Korea. They were hard for me to hold as well as get food to my mouth with them. We had a former and current DAC group lunch yesterday. Sallie was there as well. Norm gave me your blog address so am now able to keep some type of tab on you and your wanderings. Take care my friend!